From: rvloon@motif.hacktic.nl (Ronald van Loon)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.motif,comp.windows.x,comp.lang.c++
Subject: BETA version of Motif++ available
Date: 14 Apr 1994 20:43:33 -0000

Hello Motif World,

I am proud to present the new improved version of Motif++. This time, it is a
BETA release to straighten out the various system-dependencies before making
a true release. This version, like the previous versions, is FreeWare.
Donations are welcome though, as they enable me to buy more books on Motif and
C++ so Motif++ can benefit. So, if you like it... a postcard is nice too,
though :-).

New features include:

- Improved Configuration script
- Imake support for C++
- Support for X11R4 and X11R5
- Support for Motif 1.1 and Motif 1.2
- Support for various additional widget-sets like xpm and Xbae
- Support for various other widgets, like the WCL XMP Table-widget
- Updated version of C++ library which eases dealing with various Visual types
- Updated Portable Volume library, generalisation of PBMPLUS to 3D
- new contribution programs
- a game
- DOCUMENTATION (291 pages!)

Note to all of those who keep copies of the archive: please retrieve this
distribution (during off-peak hours), and delete all previous copies.

Here is the ANNOUNCEMENT:

HISTORY
=======

The University of Lowell, supported by a grant of the Open Software Foundation,
has developed a wrapper-library, that encapsulates Motif widgets in C++
classes. All resources of these Widgets can now be set through
member-functions, while objects can be used in callback-functions. The library
was made available for free or nominal cost for anonymous ftp at 129.63.1.1.
However, the library contained a large number of bugs and oversights, and only
worked under X11R3. Due to lack of subsequent fundings, the bindings are no
longer actively supported by the University of Lowell.

I, Ronald van Loon, at a certain point in 1991, have taken the Lowell
bindings, fixing the bugs I came across, adding missing memberfunctions, and
enhancing functionality and made the bug-fixed library available for the
general public for anonymous ftp (made possible by Rick Murphy at DEC).

NEW RELEASE
===========

I am now pleased to announce a new and updated release of the Motif++
bindings. Note that this distribution has BETA-status, because at the moment I
do not have access to a multitude of various platforms to test it on.
It has been tested and known to work on my Linux system.

This release offers:

- Easy configuration (even for non-imake-gurus).
- Full support for X11R4 as well as X11R5.
- More robust implementation for XMStrings.
- Cleaner implementation of hierarchy internals.
- Full support for Motif 1.1 and Motif 1.2 (including Drag and Drop).
- Support for Xbae widgetset.
- Support for the xpm library.
- Percentage widgets.
- Generic Widget.
- Support for WCL Table Widget.
- A library for easy manipulation of Visuals.
- A library that reads PBMPLUS files, as well as providing an extension to 3D
of the format.
- Lots of demos and testfiles (even somewhat useful programs)
- A game.
- all filenames smaller than 14 characters.
- D C M N A I N
o u e t t o +
=============
Documentation! 291 pages (distributed separately).

PREREQUISITES
=============

- Packages:

+ X11R4 or any later version of X
+ Motif 1.1 or any later version of Motif

- Programs:

+ a C++ compiler, compatible with cfront 2.0 or later

Motif++ compiles with any C++ compiler that conforms to cfront 2.0 or
later. It does not have any template-classes. G++ 2.3 or later are known
to work.

+ imake

All Motif++ configuration is done by the imake program, which is part of
the X11R4 and X11R5 distributions; it will NOT work without, so if you
do not have imake on your system get it from your system vendor, or
alternatively, get Rainer Klute's 'imake_pure.tar.Z'. Check your local
archie server for details, or contact Rainer at
klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de.

+ a bourne shell (sh, bash, ksh ...) that supports shellfunctions.

+ sed

- Patience

Building Motif++, like building any package of some size, takes time.

WHERE TO GET THE NEW MOTIF BINDINGS
===================================

Official distribution sites where the latest version of Motif++ can be
obtained: <DATE> represents the release date. The latest official release date
is 28.jul.93; the current Beta version is marked 27.mar.94.

FTP
===

USA:

decuac.dec.com: /pub/X11, file motif++.<DATE>.tar.gz

(courtesy of Rick Murphy)

Canada:

nrcnet0.nrc.ca (132.246.160.2): /pub/motif++, file motif++.DATE.tar.gz

(courtesy of Norm Yamane, yamane@rss21.di.nrc.ca)

Japan:

ftp.wg.omron.co.jp: /pub/X11/misc/motif++ Motif++.tar.Z
or: /pub/X11/misc/motif++, motif++.<DATE>.tar.Z

(courtesy of Yukihiro OKI, yoki@nff.ncl.omron.co.jp)

Europe (UK):

src.doc.ic.ac.uk:computing/graphics/libraries/motif++, motif++.<DATE>.tar.gz
src.doc.ic.ac.uk:/packages/motif++, motif++.<DATE>.gz

(courtesy of Lee McLoughlin, L.McLoughlin@doc.ic.ac.uk)

E-MAIL
======

- by e-mailing to ftpmail@doc.ic.ac.uk,

Subject: wants

Body of the message:

open
cd packages/motif++
get motif++.<DATE>.tar.gz
quit

(also courtesy of Lee McLoughlin, L.McLoughlin@doc.ic.ac.uk)

REQUEST
=======

Those who use the bindings and find bugs, or see room for improvement, please
contact me, and I will try to incorporate them in a future release (in case of
bugs, a bug-fix of course ;-).

MORE INFORMATION
================

Contact me at "rvloon@motif.hacktic.nl".
If you are desperate, then you can call me at
+31 33 758 293 (that is Amersfoort, the Netherlands; those within the
Netherlands should call 033-758293). During (European) working hours you can
reach me at SPC Vision, +31 4120 43888.

Enjoy!

MAILINGLIST

All e-mail sent to motif++@motif.hacktic.nl will be sent to the entire list, so
please make sure when using 'vacation' type programs that will reply to
messages automatically, that the address for the mailing-list is excluded from
auto-replies.

--
Ronald van Loon        \   S-Mail: St. Janskerkhof 18  / Even when you're
- Motif++ Maintainer    \          3811 HW Amersfoort /  on the right track

- Uttam (narsu@hks.com)