Re: Why are intepreters so slow today

John Nagle (nagle@netcom.com)
Sun, 17 Apr 1994 04:47:56 GMT

knight@mrco.carleton.ca (Alan Knight) writes:
>It is interesting to note the wide variety of reasons that people can
>come up with to explain performance differences. We have posts from
>people explaining why fast interpreters no longer exist and others
>posting their own one-line benchmarks from fast interpreters.

It's been a good discussion. The range of performance observed
across implementations is striking. Different Smalltalk systems showed
performance ratios exceeding 100:1. There are few other places in
computing where you see ratios like that on the same or comparable
hardware.

There's a good article to be written on this subject.

John Nagle