Re: Holy Grail

Mark C. Carroll (carroll@stimpy.eecis.udel.edu)
1 Apr 1994 19:36:33 GMT

In article <CnFvF3.LEx@eo.com> pete@eoc.com (Peter Cockerell) writes:
>Toma (toma@sage.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
>
>: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some
>: watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went round claiming
>: to be emporer, just cause some moistened bent had lobbed a scimatar
>
> ^^ bint, actually
>: at me, they'd put me away!
>
>(Bint's another [derogatory] British English word for woman.)
>
>So what's up with this Python language? Is it as crap as Perl?

Well, I hardly think that Perl is crap...

Your opinion of Python as compared to Perl is largely dependent on
matters of personal taste. As a fan of both languages, I'll try to
express the relative pros and cons of each.

Pros of Python:
- much cleaner, rational syntax.
- much more rational, understandable implementation of objects
- much easier to understand
- very modular design
- much more rational parameter passing
- much easier to implement data structures

Pros of Perl as of v4:
- less verbose.
- has defaults that allow normal programs to be written with
great ease. (ie, $_, <>, etc.)
- easier to write complicated file handlers.

Pros of Perl as of v5:
- more flexible object system
- more powerful module system. (Perl5 can selectively export
the internals of a module.)
- static, lexical scoping when you want it.