Re: Description of Python Programming Lang.

Michael McLay (mclay@eeel.nist.gov)
Fri, 1 Apr 1994 19:08:33 GMT

In article <CnFHFG.pG@ra.nrl.navy.mil> miller@pcuap9.nrl.navy.mil (Gordon Miller) writes:

> I saw this newsgroup and it looked somewhat interesting. I am curious
> as to what this language is and its advantages over similar
> languages.

The text from the Python introduction page,
http://www.cwi.nl/~guido/Python.html, is attached.

Following the hyperlinks from the WWW page is a quick way to learn
more about Python.

The Python Programming Language
********************************

Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
language. It incorporates modules, exceptions, dynamic typing, very high
level dynamic data types, and classes. Python combines remarkable power
with very clear syntax. It has interfaces to many system calls and libraries,
as well as to various window systems, and is extensible in C or C++. It is
also usable as an extension language for applications that need a
programmable interface. Finally, Python is portable: it runs on many brands
of UNIX, on the Mac, and on MS-DOS.

The full Python documentation is on-line as hypertext: Tutorial, Language
Reference, Library Reference, and Extensions Manual. Perl and Tcl
programmers may first want to have a look at a testimonial by a convert.
And of course there's a FAQ list (not yet in hypertext).

Source and documentation, as well as binaries for Macintosh and DOS are
available by anonymous ftp from several sites:

o ftp.cwi.nl (192.16.184.180) in Europe -- its home site; in
/pub/python
o gatekeeper.dec.com (16.1.0.2) -- US west coast mirror; in
/pub/plan/python/cwi
o ftp.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) -- US north west mirror; in
/graphics/graphics/sgi-stuff/python
o ftp.uu.net (192.48.96.9) -- US east coast mirror; in
/languages/python

Lance Ellinghouse <lance@markv.com> maintains an ftp server with
a growing collection of interesting Python scripts. To submit a script for
inclusion, place it together with a readme file (with extension .readme) in
the publicly writable directory /incoming/python on his site (
ftp.markv.com).

You can also have a peek at my working source set -- completely at your
own risk!

There's a mailing list for discussion of Python-related subjects. Send mail
to <python-list-request@cwi.nl> to subscribe (a human
reads the mail, so no LISTSERV commands please!). There are plans to
create a newsgroup; if you want to see this happen, join the mailing list!

Python owes much to ABC, a language developed in the eighties at CWI.

Guido van Rossum