Re: None

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 14:26:21 -0500

On Dec 10, 10:53, "Jaap Vermeulen (jaap)" wrote:

> | > None = os.system('...')
>
> [...] Now I use 'ignore'
> (void is too much like C casting...), and to get the same effect:
>
> ignore = os.system('...')
> del ignore
>
> Of course, normally the ignore get's chucked when you reassign it or the
> name space gets deleted.

Me?
I think I'm going to start using '_' as my own personal symbol for "junk":

_ = os.system( cmd )

[ Or does that look TOO Perl-ish ? ]

I might think that 'ignore' is the name of the function to eat junk I
want to skip! ( In fact, in this particular instance, that's just what
I was doing: )

try:
here = file.tell( )
except IOError:
here = None

if here : file.seek( here + skip )
else: _ = file.read( skip )

Anyway, I'm glad you and Tim spoke up - I was beginning to doubt
that I had ever seen that code fragment before at all! I'm amazed
that I was able to get away with it for so long. I have to attribute
that to the fact that it must have almost always been used in local
scope. This amplifies my statement back in the "obfuscated python"
thread, that if there *IS* such a thing as obfuscated python, then it
is likely to be due to namespace tricks or subtleties!

-- Steve