Re: running python scripts as suid root

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Tue, 9 Nov 1993 10:46:49 -0500

On Nov 9, 9:58, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

> I have written a template wrapper that makes it easier not to forget
> these things. If anyone wants it, just ask.

I would like a copy please.

Do you know if there is a write-up in a FAQ or some other summary
of the security issues involved. I have heard of some of these
problems before, but I'm not sure I understand the reasons behind
the problems.

Anyway - what I need is to have an inet server "login" as the
user who connects, so that all files written will be owned by
him. So it's not *really* going to be a *SETUID* root script -
the program will be _started_ up as root by inetd - but I then
have to setuid to the user. Is there some better way of doing
this that I'm missing ?

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics