the proper name for dictionaries,maps,associative-arrays,tables...

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@galen.med.virginia.edu)
Fri, 22 Oct 1993 18:02:34 -0400

There has been some discussion in comp.language.perl on the
best or proper name for dictionaries/associative-arrays/maps/
tables/hash-tables/etc.

On Oct 19, 8:46, Larry Wall wrote:

> In article <CF3Mwz.Hxr@bcstec.ca.boeing.com> ced@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Charles Derykus) writes:
> : I think assoc.arrays deserve something whimsical. Maybe, along
> : the line of
> :
> : joytable
> : happyhash
> : funarray (say it fast)
> : ?
> :
> : After all, Perl is getting awfully serious :-)
>
> I think that's the reason I lean towards "hash". "map" is so...sober...
>
> Just try to say "hash" with a straight face.
>
> Larry
>

> -- End of excerpt from lwall@netlabs.com (Larry Wall)

For obvious reasons, I think the python documentation
should be changed to call these objects "SPAM" !

- Steve Majewski

[ P.S. Elvis was dead. But he is alive again. If anyone
has had bouncing mail to me, would you please resend
it to sdm7g@Virginia.EDU. The domain addressing is
better - it can be redirected more easily. ]