Re: Killed

Sjoerd Mullender (Sjoerd.Mullender@cwi.nl)
Thu, 14 Oct 1993 17:31:07 +0100

On Thu, Oct 14 1993 "Steven D. Majewski" wrote:

> One of my python programs, after getting 80% into processing a
> rather large file, responds with the terse message:
>
> Killed
>
> and exits.
>
> That's certainly not one of MY messages.
> Maybe it's an OS message ( from IBM AIX 3.2.2 )
> Is there anyplace in the python code that might produce that message ?
>
> I expect it is a cryptic message from AIX, but I thought I'ld
> check to see if anyone has ever seen anything similar.

This message comes from the shell and is the signal which terminated
your python process.

The signal "Killed" (signal 9) is sent by the kernel if it notices
that some resource (usually virtual memory) is unavailable. It is
sent more or less at random to a process. Apart from making sure that
your system doesn't get overloaded, there is nothing you can do about
this. This particular signal cannot be caught or ignored.

Sjoerd Mullender
CWI, dept. CST, Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ Amsterdam, Netherlands
email: Sjoerd.Mullender@cwi.nl fax: +31 20 592 4199
phone: +31 20 592 4127 telex: 12571 mactr nl