Re: Some python comments/questions (correction)

Martin Green (martin.a.green@hydro.on.ca)
Wed, 13 Oct 1993 14:16:42 -0400

On October 13 at 12:03:56 peter@robots.ox.ac.uk wrote:
> > From lance@markv.com Wed Oct 13 16:23:08 1993
> > I think an example using Motif would be a better choice. More people
> > will look at it and say "I could use that!". Currently a lot of people
> > are moving to TCL from C because of the Tk package (Motif interface
> > for those who don't know). If people saw how clean Python is with a
> > Motif interface, I think some would drop TCL/Tk and go with Python..
> > Python is a MUCH cleaner language.
>
> What about a python interface to tk? Has anyone done it?

I raised this with Guido and John Ousterhout (author of TCL/Tk)
several months ago, and even agreed to do it if I could find the time.
Although I have been following this list with great interest, I have
been too busy working on a project using TCL to properly learn Python,
or take on the Tk project. Its a chicken and egg situation :-(.

Tk is a terrific system that looks like, but is distinct from, Motif.
It relies heavily on the TCL interpreter, so adding Tk support to
Python also means adding TCL. It would probably be easiest to add a
Python interpreter to Tk's windowing shell (wish), rather than adding
TCL/Tk to Python.

Martin A. Green Net : green@rd.hydro.on.ca
Ontario Hydro Technologies Tel : (416) 207-5745
800 Kipling Ave, KR260 FAX : (416) 207-5622
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M8Z5S4