Re: indentation...

Jack Jansen (Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl)
Mon, 18 Jul 1994 11:30:29 GMT

"Ron Forrester" <rjf@aurora.pcg.com> writes:
>First, why was the decision made to make indentation significant? I am
>not asking this out of malice or because I think its wrong -- I just
>want to know the pro's and con's...

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

He asked *The* *Question*.... (loud noises of people gnashing teeth
and pulling out hairs are heard in the distance).

Anyway: the short answer: it was inherited from ABC.
The slightly longer answer: having both indentation and closing
symbols causes descrepancies between the two: you *see* the program is
structured correctly, but the compiler/interpreter has a different
view. Doing away with the symbols and looking only at the indentation
fixes this.
The final answer: look in the FAQ, or wait until Guido is back next
week.

Jack Jansen        | If I can't dance I don't want to be part of
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl | your revolution             -- Emma Goldman
uunet!cwi.nl!jack    G=Jack;S=Jansen;O=cwi;PRMD=surf;ADMD=400net;C=nl