Re: Very Dissappointing

Arthur Chance (Arthur.Chance@Smallworld.co.uk)
Tue, 29 Mar 1994 17:52:00 +0100

On Mar 29, 7:48am, Bill Baker wrote:
> I posted my first message on comp.lang.python yesterday and was met this
> morning with something that makes me so frustrated that I wanted to scream!
> I knew there was bound to be several comments about Monty Python but I didn't
> think that they would be so blatantly infantile about it. To post badly
> formed puns in reply to legitimate questions is at best a waste of bandwidth
> and at worst a barrier from anyone who might have any interest in the
> language! I know the flame I posted on comp.lang.python is going to be met
> with further idiocy but I HAD to do something. I originally write in my post
> that I will be glad to leave the list-server but now I'm going to have to
> rethink that. Maybe we could start a _moderated_ usenet group.

A moderated group would not work. News admins, myself included, would remark
that as c.l.p has just been formed it should be used, not immediately dropped
for a moderated group, and would vote against such a group.

The thing to do is _not_ dive for cover back into the mailing list, but to
get _very_ active on the news group and push the idiots out. (Complaints to
persistent offenders' sysadmins should deal with those who don't go as most
of the idiots appear to be from .edu sites.) Posting the python FAQ once a
week (with suitable Expires: header) for the first month or two would help
clarify what the group is about, and repeating some of the emails with code
in onto the newsgroup would both start to shove the idiots out, and catch
the eyes of people who might be seriously interested in python.

--
"Especially in England, no one really knows what's going on and so
 everyone is a little paranoid."