Re: multi-line expressions

Nick Seidenman (nick@osg.saic.com)
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 16:48:46 -0500 (EST)

Quentin Stafford-Fraser writes:

> I quite agree with Chris's comments about the new users disliking indentation
-
> my experience has been much the same. While I'm generally happy with it now,
> still feel uncomfortable sometimes leaving that great overhang at the end of
> procedures with nothing to tidy it off :-)

Having programmed in C for years (and ftn for years prior to that) I too
felt an initial apprehension about the lack of explicit block delimiters,
save for the indents themselves. I think I'm open-minded enough to
try it, especially since the language on the whole is pretty neat. But
Chris (and the preceding lambda discussion) does expose an area of
lack in the language.

> An alternative syntax would also make interactive use much easier. Typing the

> right number of indents at the prompt can be a pain.

I don't typically use emacs, but could it be that with it's context-sensitive
editing features it has lulled our friends Guido et al into thinking the
editor will ease this pain? I of course make the outlandish presumption
that only old farts like me still use vi.

Nick

Nick Seidenman nick@osg.saic.com
SAIC (703) 734-5561
1710 Goodridge Drive MS 1-11-1