Re: Python under AIX 3.2 ???

Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 16:17:17 +0100

> From: lance@markv.com
>
> > From: "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
> >
> > configure, make and autotest all worked find for me under AIX 3.2
> >
> > Does testall.out have any other clues besides "Error 139" ?
>
> No testall.out is created..
> Looks like it is dieing way before that time...
>
> When I did 'configure' the compilation died on modsupport.c
> and it seems that AIX 3.2 does not like stdarg.h and the way that
> it is used under python.. do I commented out the HAVE_STDARG_H
> entry in the config.h file and things still don't work well..

I don't have anything to add on why AIX would work for one person and
not for the other, but I should clarify the testing procedure a bit
since Lance did not supply sufficient information for anyone to help
him, really.

The python test is basically done by doing "import testall". This
produces rather a lot of output which is always the same, and thus the
Makefile runs the test as "import autotest". That's a little wrapper
around the test which runs it with its output redirected, and
*compares* the output to that of a previous run. The output of the
previous run is stored in the same directory as testall.py (currently
Lib/test/testall.out) -- I update it each time the test set's output
changes.

Lance's test run dumped core in autotest without producing any output.
To have a better idea of what's going on, if Lance could have run the
test (manually) using "import testall" then I would have been able
to see what the last successfully completed test was and I might have
had a hint of what could be the problem. Steve only confused Lance
more by asking for the contents of "testall.out" while in fact he
meant the output from "import testall"...

So Lance, if you would care to mail me (not the list) that output,
I'll have a look... (Of course you could also apply the 1.0.1 patches
first to see if it miraculously solves your problem :-)

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl>