Re: Dynamically loadable modules (and Doc/ext.tex) work BEAUTIFULLY!

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 13:07:46 -0500

On Jan 14, 11:13, Bennett Todd wrote:
> Subject: Re: Dynamically loadable modules (and Doc/ext.tex) work BEAUTIFUL
>
> On another topic, why does Python currently build a ``kitchen sink''
> monolithic executable? Since the dynamic loading works so cleanly and well,
> I'd expect that the canonical Python build would have a fairly lean core,
> and a bunch of .so files for the various libraries that aren't needed in
> every single program. Is there some strong reason I'm overlooking?

(1) Dynamic loading doesn't work on all systems.
( I started trying to port it to AIX back before Christmas, and I
haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. )

(2) Makefile+Configure mechanics, etc. - just the labor involved
in changing dynamic loading of most modules to be an option
if dynamic loading IS supported.

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics